So…you’re super excited about your upcoming vacation…who wouldn’t be? But, what to do with all that food in your fridge? Here are a few tips to help you avoid food loss when heading out of town.
1. If you have a little bit of this and a little bit of that in your fridge, consider making meals that will use up a bunch of those ingredients all at once. For example, frittatas, pastas and soups are great places to “hide” that 1/4 cup of peas, that half of a baked potato, and of course, my favorite – the rest of that rotisserie chicken!
2. Cook or refrigerate things to help them last longer. If your eggs are on the verge of expiration, hard boil them. Leftover fruit in the fruit basket – throw it in the fridge.
3. Bring it with you! Especially if you are road-tripping, bring whatever you can with you, in your backpack or even consider bringing a cooler. You don’t really want to eat fast food anyway, so why not bring what you can from home.
4. Downsize – a couple days before your departure, transfer your leftovers to the smallest containers they will fit in, or into freezer bags. That way, if you haven’t gotten to them by the time you are ready to leave, you just throw them in the freezer on your way out the door.
5. Make yourself a return-home meal. Throw together a quick pan of enchiladas, a meatloaf, or other dish that freezes well. That way, when you get home and definitely don’t feel like cooking, you have something ready to go.
Send along your favorite tricks and tips to be featured in a future post!